Fairlawn Address 200 N. Wheaton Road,
Akron, Ohio 44313
Fairlawn Phone Number330-836-5541


Fairlawn Country Club History


Clubhouse
The original clubhouse was located at Revere and Market Street on two hundred acres of beautiful woodlands, the generous gift of F.A. Seiberling. The members of Fairlawn Country Club will always be grateful to Mr. Seiberling. On April 20, 1917, Frances Seiberling, J.A. Riscel and C.W. McLaughlin were granted a charter by the State of Ohio for the Fairlawn Heights Golf Club. When the original clubhouse burned in October, 1929, the club decided to rebuild on the current site, 200 Wheaton Road, and construction began in 1930.



Golf Course
Our first nine-hole course at Fairlawn was designed by W. B. Langford of Chicago and built under the supervision of H.S. Wagner. The first match was played by J.M. Tew and E.O. Handy in April, 1919, and in May the course opened with Harry Harris as the head pro. Ed Kerby became head pro in 1926 and remained in that position for forty-one years. Frank Wharton was head pro for almost as long, from 1967 to 2005. In 1929, nine more holes were built, and in 1991, #14 green was rebuilt to USGA specifications, a model for further renovation.
Tennis Courts
Tennis courts were added in 1948, and an Olympic-sized swimming pool with bath house and observation deck was added in 1957, making Fairlawn Country Club a multi-faceted club for the whole family. The tennis courts were improved and enlarged in 1975. Over the years, many additions and improvements have been made to the golf course, pool complex, tennis courts and clubhouse, creating an outstanding environment where members enjoy club amenities, socialize, and feel a deep sense of shared community.